Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Peaks and Valleys

Have you ever looked back at your life to see how you got to where you are now?  Satchel Paige said, "don't look back, something might be gaining on you." I echo his sentiment even though I often look back at my life and examine the peaks and valleys.  The question is why? Why do we look back at our lives?  Is it to see how far we've come or how far we've fallen?  In thinking about Satchel's saying it's important to note his life story to provide a context.  He was a star in the Negro Baseball Leagues but he saw many players come through the league and go on to play in the newly integrated major leagues while he continued on in the Negro Leagues.  His playing in the Negro leagues was not such a bad thing because the Negro Leagues had superior talent to the major leagues prior to integration, which lured many of the best players from the league. So Satchel winds up a star in a league that is now waning in talent and becoming a sort of "minor league" for the now integrated Major Leagues.   I won't dwell on his story but he eventually became the oldest rookie in Major league baseball history at 42.  Now, remember, Satchel said, "don't look back, something might be gaining on you."  Well he could have looked back and said,  "if I was here in my prime I would have dominated in this league" or "I could have been the best ever."  I could have... I would have...  Well one of may favorite sayings is: "What would have happened... did."  I'm not sure who said it but I think it was an athlete after they won a game where it was said that they may not have won had this thing or that thing not happened.  I think his point was that those things did happen so why speculate on what would have happened "if"? They weren't going to replay the game so, what would have happened did happen.  I employ that mantra every time I start to lament about where I am currently in this game called life.  We're not going to be able to replay the game so the best thing to do is learn from the experience and teach from the experience as you move forward and upward.  Grow from it and help others to avoid those mistakes and/or pitfalls.

I bet every single one of us have had some "I could've" or "I should've" or "if only" in our lives.  I have made some major errors in my life.  I have offended the wrong people at the wrong time.  I have  listened to and befriended people who did not have my best interest at heart, and I've rejected the friendship and advice of those who did.  I have faced maltreatment, discrimination and been disconsolate and brokenhearted among other things, but I know that I am destined for greatness. I believe we all are "if" we choose it.

I have been in the valley and I have climbed the mountain only to loose my grip or have my hand stomped near the plateau.  When I was in the valley before I started the climb I wasn't sure if I could climb that high, now I know I can.  If I choose to learn from the failures, obstacles, and even successes of the climb it will be fuel for reaching the plateau of excellence that is before me.  Those of you who have climbed and fallen, you didn't fall into the valley - you just landed hard and got up a little dazed and confused.  You now have a shorter climb and more resources to get there.  I have learned and I will teach and I will lead an expedition to greatness.  Who's with me?

1 comment:

  1. An interesting read...from an interesting mind. Makes sense.You're a great writer, Tommy.
    Keep the mind churning,
    ~TBD.

    ReplyDelete